- 55% of online product searches begin on Amazon
- 90% of online shoppers check Amazon even if they find the product they want on another ecommerce site
- People increasingly visit Amazon first, with its share of this action up 11% year on year, and the figures down for search engines and other retailers
The secret to success is no longer just get it out there and see how it performs. The most successful retailers are strategic and targeted in their efforts, both offline and on.
- The top three factors that are very or extremely influential in determining where Americans shop are price (87%), shipping cost and speed (80%) and discount offers (71%).
- Millennials and Gen Xers spend 50% more time shopping online each week (six hours) than their older counterparts (four hours)
- 55% of all ecommerce sales are done through branded stores, vs. 45% via marketplaces.
- Of the 45% of all sales through marketplacesp, the most common destinations are:
- eBay – 8%
- Etsy and others – 1%
- Ecommerce is growing 23% year-over-year, yet 46% of American small businesses do not have a website
Mobile is Important
- Google says 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead.
- 71% of marketers believe mobile marketing is core to their business